Saturday, February 28, 2009

So we have made the plunge...well, kinda.  We made an offer on a house, the house pictured above, to be specific.  There are a LOT of uncertainties at this point because it is a short sale home.  This means the bank owns it and they are just not as fun to work with as actual people sellers.  These types of sales usually take FOREVER, and often the banks are not much for negotiating.  The asking price that we were told might not even be right at all because it's the real estate agent or previous home owner that sets a price...and then the bank decides if they are willing to take that big of a loss.  So the price the bank decides on could totally be more than what we've been anticipating.  Also, one other offer has been made and we have no way of knowing whether our offer is more than theirs.  

This house is definitely a fixer-upper.  Lots of people in short sale positions just get out as quick as they can--they don't clean, they don't necessarily even take all their stuff with them.  They have no incentive to leave things nice for whoever comes after them, so they sometimes don't.  That is definitely the case with this home.  When we first went in, I was afeard we were going to see little creatures running about because there was crap everywhere.  It took a couple of visits to see beyond the junk and dirtiness to see the real potential.  The biggest work will be the dejunking and cleaning, for sure.  Then it needs new flooring in the main room and bedrooms and new paint everywhere.  It will also need a tub, fridge, and oven, and if the dishwasher doesn't work, then a dishwasher.  It has 3 bedrooms and is 1409 SQ. FT.  The lot size is .23 acres.  It has a garage, carport, and shed.  Whether or not we'd keep all these things is another story, but it's nice to have the options.  It's fully fenced and could just be so dang cute.  And if the price holds, we really don't think we could find anything better in our price range that has all the things we're looking for.  So, everybody pray real hard that whatever should happen will, and if that could be that we get it, so much the better!  Also, if we do get it, you better believe we wouldn't mind lots of help from amazing friends and family...and yes, there will be free donuts.  :)

8 comments:

Cassidy said...

Congrats guys...even on just the attempts at getting a home! And whatever is meant to be will happen. Our old house in Provo, even when things were looking like we wouldn't get it, I just knew that we would live there in time. And a few months later, we got the call that it was still for sale and did we still want it!?! And even if this isn't the right home for you, there will be another one that is! I love you guys!! Good luck!

Alicia said...

That would be so cool if you could get a house! Good luck with everything! Oh, and you're pregnant?! Congratulations! Do you know if it's a boy or girl? Hopefully all is well!

R and A said...

Oh guys, I hope you get it so bad! It is so cute! Plus I know that no one would take care of it as well as you. I have my fingers crossed

Meredith said...

Wow, It's really cute! I hope you do get it! I can imagine you guys there! Good luck!

Mom at Our House said...

I bet your dad wants you to get that house more than anyone. He has probably already planed in his head all he is going to do to help you fix it up.

I totally see how cute it is going to be. I Love it.

This is so exciting. I hope things turn out good for you guys!

Oh now you need to post about Cooper K.

michele84084 said...

How exciting!! Good luck with the process-- the first one is definetly the biggest pain the neck.

Summer & Rich said...

Yay I am so excited for you This is great. I will for sure help if you need it.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Fixer Uppers are great, but I knew John would never have enough time to be that committed to something while in school...so we just settled with out condo and paint. :)